Friday, March 27, 2009

Mighty B is Mighty Entertaining

A little girl named Bessie Higgenbottom is on a quest to collect every badge in Honeybee history. (Honeybee scouts are sort of like the Girl Scouts of America.) Why? Because she has heard that if you do so you can become a Mighty B superhero.

Can you blame the girl? Who DOESN'T want to be a superhero?

That's the premise behind the Nickelodeon cartoon Mighty B. Recently I was asked to review "The Mighty B - We Got The Bee!" I wasn't familiar with the show so I didn't know what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised by the eight episodes included on this dvd. Amy Pohler does a great job as the voice of Bessie, the quirky little girl with a big heart and boundless energy.

My son quickly got into the show and has asked to watch it again and again. And while I got a kick out of the first few episodes, I had to turn it off. Bessie is squirrelly. So is my son. So Bessie+Seth = far too much squirrelly for me to patiently handle. But I can see why a high-energy kid like Seth would get into the story. Her energy, enthusiasm and silly voice hold a kid's interest.

If you're going to let your kid veg after a hard day of school and homework, I'm thinking this is a great show to let them watch. Bessie is always willing to help others out and try new things. She is not undeterred by the clique of mean girls she often encounters. No violence. No inappropriate stuff. Just Bessie delving into one adventure or another.