Friday, November 14, 2008

Cut with Skil

Skil has come out with a nifty little gadget just in time for Christmas. It's called a "Lithium Ion Power Cutter - Model #2352-01"

When I was asked to review this product, I was intrigued. So I went to Skil's site to learn more. According to the manufacturer, it weighs less than a pound and can power through all sorts of stuff. The lithium-ion powered battery can maintain a charge for up to 18 months.

At first I tested the product on stuff like wrapping paper which it easily sliced through. I tried cardboard too. No problems there. At that point, I sort of turned into a 12-year-old boy, looking through the house with cutter in hand trying to find something I could cut up out of curiosity. (And I had to resist the temptation to get out an old leather coat just to see if the product really can slice through leather like it promises.)

This would be a great product if you need to cut something that's tough to tear yet very thin like laminated paper, vinyl flooring or wall paper. It even cut through cloth and vinyl blinds. The only issue I came across is that you've got to feed your fabric, box or paper into a very thin opening. (See the picture to catch my drift.) So if you're trying to cut a thick-ish piece of cardboard? Not going to happen. And its not because the blade's not strong enough - but rather because the feeder area is very narrow.

But while I'm thinking of it, the gadget is easy to maneuver. So if you want to cut a curve or a circle, you can do so with ease.

I plan on passing the power cutter along to my mom and dad. While I go out of my way to avoid do-it-yourself projects, they've tackled many a wallpaper and vinyl flooring installation project. I'm thinking they'd love something like this. Plus? They won't have to worry about the blade dulling. (According to the manufacturer, the blade is precision ground hardened steel.)

The tool can be found at Lowe's and retails between $45-55.